Chestnut Homes are one of the leading new home developers in Lincolnshire. We enjoy an enviable reputation for building quality new homes on attractive well-designed developments, varying in size from 50 units up to 500 units. The company continues to grow in a planned and sustainable way, and we are looking to appoint a driven and ambitious Quality, Health, Safety and Environmental Manager to help us deliver our ambitions.
Working in conjunction with our external health and safety consultants, you will be responsible for delivering the health and safety function of the business to ensure that all work is well planned and carried out in a safe manner.
We have a very positive health and safety culture and will nurture and retain that as the company continues to grow. Evaluation and analyse of health and safety performance is the key to continuous improvement, and this will be an important part of your role.
You will undertake regular site inspections to ensure that sites are meeting the required health and safety standards, and are complying with the agreed methods of working.
You will also develop and manage the quality assurance side of the business, with a hands-on and practical approach, and further, develop the environmental strategy for the business to ensure that we not only meet but also exceed our environmental responsibilities.
Roles and Responsibilities: -
- Obtain and review all health and safety documentation from contractors to ensure they meet health and safety legislation, and the company’s agreed methods of working. This will include insurances and training records
General Health and Safety: -
- Ensure that the companies Health and Safety Policy meets current legislation at all times, and reflects the working practices of the company, and annual audits are undertaken
- Liaise with company’s Health & Safety Advisers regarding external site inspections, and agree any courses of action for matters arising from their site inspections
- Collate and produce statics for analysis of the company’s performance in respect of Health & Safety management, and against national statistics
Site Health and Safety: -
- Produce all site preconstruction, and construction phase health and safety information and safe systems of work etc.
- Ensure that all necessary site and risk assessments are undertaken, and risks are mitigated through working methods
- Working with the Construction Manager and Directors, ensure that all health, safety and welfare facilities and information are available on all new developments at the appropriate time, including waste & traffic management plans
- Ensure that a training matrix for all staff in kept up to date, and training is instigated at the appropriate times
- Undertake Toolbox talks as and when necessary
- Register sites and deal with all aspects of the F10 notices
- Re-register the sites as required
- Liaise with crane provider to ensure all lifts are managed, including the production of lift plans, and obtaining designs for crane mats where required
Licences and Testing: -
- Ensure that relevant waste transfer licences etc. are in place at all times, and liaise with contractors to ensure that all material imported to sites is from an approved source. Apply for Waste exemption: D7 burning licences etc. as required
- Ensure that slings and chains are tested annually
- Ensure that PAT testing is carried out as required across all sites and within head office
- Investigate accidents or near-miss incidents, and implement any recommendations made within the report.
- Liaise with the company’s external health and safety advisers, and any government agency or statutory body involved with any investigation
- In conjunction with the Directors, ensure that suitable insurance is in place for all construction works, and disseminate the relevant information to sites
- Ensure that any “specialist” insurances are in place (e.g. 21.2.1 insurance for piling works etc.)
- Work closely with the in-house Design Office and external designers to ensure that health and safety issues are being correctly addressed at the design stage
Driving and Vehicles: -
- Ensure that the drivers of all company vehicles are adequately trained
Personal Attributes Required: -
- Ability to lead, motivate and empower
- Ability to work as part of a busy team, but also be confident in your own ability & decision making
- Proven experience in a similar senior role within the construction industry
- Excellent health, safety and construction knowledge
- Excellent organisational, communication and presentation skills
- Excellent oral and written skills
- Commercially aware
- Good IT skills
- Audit and investigation skills
- Be punctual, hardworking; reliable and have a very positive attitude
- Clean driving licence
Qualifications Required: -
- Experience in a similar role
- Experience in the construction industry
Further training will be arranged as required
This role will suit a very experienced Health & Safety Manager who wishes to join a growing company, and who wishes to build on the current very good health and safety standards and help move the business forward, working out of a friendly and caring office.
This is a full-time position offering a very competitive salary, and a good benefits package.
If you would like the opportunity to join our expanding and progressive business, we would like to hear from you. We have an enviable track record in retaining and developing staff, so if you would like to become part of our successful team, please get in touch!
Applications with full CV to: -
David Newton (Managing Director)
Chestnut Homes Ltd,
The Old School,
Lincoln LN3 5BJ
Or via email to email@example.com